View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

I've noted that it's beneficial to a returning veteran if they can get an "interim" job that may not be exactly in line with their ultimate career goal. The transition from active military to civilian isn't always that easy, but that "interim" job just might take the edge off of the difficulty.

I've also noted that many employers (and interviewers) are impressed with returning veterans that have enrolled in college, or taking college courses. It means that the veteran is trying to better him/herself beyond the education that they received while in the military. Even if you have merely enrolled, but not currently attending classes says that you have the desire to better yourself.

Times have changed! The PTSD "thing" is more prominent nowadays, due to the overexposure through the rapidity of the "new" media focuses. What I mean is, back in 1970, when I got out of the military, NO ONE seemed to think that PTSD was a reality, mainly because it wasn't focused upon in any way. Now, PTSD is one of the FIRST things that employers MIGHT think about, especially if the interviewee is a returning combat vet. That's due to the small percentage of TRUE PTSD cases having been so closely scrutinized by the news media. Don't know what can be said in an interview, other than something along the lines of, "That was YESTERDAY, I'm no longer in the military, and this is NOW! My military experience is in the past, not the present, not in the future!"