View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 2:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Read the first sentence in (d).

The second sentence, it does NOT state that a transaction can NOT include a handgun at all. It states that it is to be considered a single firearm transaction if it is a single sale AND does not include handguns. Than means that each and every handgun is considered a separate firearm transaction, but that it is considered a single transaction for non-handguns if all of the conditions are met.
Yes it does. It clearly says, "For purposes of this subdivision, a "transaction" means a single sale, loan, or transfer of any number of firearms that are not handguns." If you want take out some of the extra wording. "For purposes of this subdivision, a "transaction" means a single sale...of any number of firearms that are not handguns." Or, "For purposes of this subdivision, a "transaction" means a single loan of any number of firearms that are not handguns." Or, "For purposes of this subdivision, a "transaction" means a single transfer of any number of firearms that are not handguns."

12077(d)(4) does not apply to handguns. Therefore handgun transaction are not definied. If they were, then they would probably state you cannot run a long gun transaction on a handgun transaction. However, since they did not, no such prohibition applies.

Final statement, the penal code is a flipping mess! As you have stated, dealers should err on the side of caution and do what they feel is best. If you don't want to change the DROS long gun number and make customers re-DROS, no problem. If you just cross out the number and make sure the 4473 is correct, go for it.

In the end I bet you a beer no one but us gives a damn and this will never come up on an audit, even if I told them to look at it!