View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I was cleaning out my garage and found a Century 80% FAL receiver I had orderd god knows how long ago. I was wondering the legalities of completing this receiver. I would odviously expect to stamp and do the droes on it. But how should it be machined metric or inch? Also does any one know of a machinist who could complete such a task ( it came with prints) preferably in the sacramento area. Is any FAL kit going to be compatible? Last but not least is this hunk of steel even worth the head ache or the cost to perform such a task. Its spent at least 5 years in the garage I guess it could make a good screw driver holder!

On a separate note from a newbie, thank you one and all for such a great site. Its good to see such a wealth of knowledge & to realize im not the only gun nut left in Cali.

Thank you.
It would definetely be legal to complete an "80%" FAL receiver (I have read that they are closer to 60% complete), but it probably wouldn't be practical. Not only that, but I believe that you are supposed to do all the machining when manufacturing your own firearm (or at least push the buttons to start the operation). And if by "droes" you mean DROS, that does not have to be done on a firearm manufactured by yourself for personal use. Stamping it with a unique serial number and manufacturer name (like Cactus Arms ) is probably a good idea.

You could check the FALfiles to see if it's worth it to complete this job, but I doubt that it is. You can get a complete FAL receiver for around $400-425 (including state and dealer fees).

Last edited by blacklisted; 03-10-2007 at 5:17 PM..