Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Hebrews 13:2 (Heb13:2 "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.") is one of the most mis-used verses in the Bible.

How do people use it? They use it be their Biblical proof that they have seen angels (as people or visions) do things - miracles, acts of kindness, comfort.

But, what does the verse say? It says that you "entertain" (i.e. receive as a guest) an angel WITHOUT KNOWING IT! The word means to "escape notice."

If you don't notice, don't know, then you don't even sense that they are angels, let alone be able to say that you've seen one! And, you receive them as a guest - not watch them do miracles, etc.

So, when people in hospitals, on their deathbeds, during operations, etc. or in situations like accidents, wars, etc. say that they've seen angels or Jesus or heaven or something similar - what's happening? Dreams, hallucinations, etc. Those situations often have large amounts of drugs involved, large amounts of pain and adrenalin, etc. Why do their dreams and hallucinations seem so similar to other's dreams and hallucinations? Movies, books, etc. Just the mind replaying from something it associates to.

If you want to come to know Christ and experience His presence personally, you have to obey Him and have a life that He is at home in, enjoys dwelling in (Eph. 3:16-17). And, to have that you have to be saved - grace alone, faith alone, in Christ alone. Angels are His ministering spirits, a shadow of what having Him is like.

Paul directly covered all of this un-Christlike worship:

Col2:18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

Jesus Christ is the head - the head of the body of Christ - hold fast to Him (alone!)!

Bill

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther