View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 3:14 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 23,777
iTrader: 42 / 100%

Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I haven't read every post, so forgive me if this has been covered,
it would have been nice if you had at least read the first post of this thread, where it explains that you can't do an intrafamily interstate transfer without using a CA FFL.

but over the years I have done numerous intrafamily transfers, legally, with off roster handguns, between out of state family members

there is no requirement for background check or roster compliance, nor FFL transfer
if you didn't use a CA FFL to facilitate the transfer, federal law was violated in the process, so it wasn't done legallly.

registering the handgun with CA DOJ is completely elective
how do you figure. CA says that intrafamily handgun transfers have to be reported to CADOJ.

the only issue is that the transfer must be done FTF,
either by the family member coming to CA with the handgun,
or you traveling to the family member to pick up the handgun,
and then transporting it legally back to CA ... for example via car or airline

but you may not ship the gun into the state

both options you mention violate federal law. In both cases, the out-of-state person violates federal law by transfering a firearm to a person of a different state, without using an FFL.

In the second case, if you bring a firearm you acquire out-of-state back to your home state, you also have violated federal law.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.