Thread: What
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
I want to find a nice bolt action rimfire rifle at one of these gun shows. What I saw at CalExpo today in Sacramento was questionable. Maybe it was because it was Sunday afternoon...

What are the dos and donts of picking up a good rimfire target rifle at a gun show? This will never see a scope and will be used for target shooting up to 100 yards.
The overall condition of the firearm can tell you alot about how it has been taken care of. Check the muzzle crown for any dings or burrs, if present pass on that one. Rifling and overall condition of the bore. Is the bolt tight in the action. Dry fire if possible to check for trigger creep and weight of pull. Does it have a magazine, some older ones can be hard to find and/or expensive. Lastly when buying a used firearm its always a roll of the dice.

If its solely for iron sight target shooting then I would look for something with aperture sights (peeps). Much more accurate that standard buckhorn type sights.

If you have the budget for it and they still have them you would be much better off getting one of the Kimber 82G rifles from CMP.org. Made as a 3 position target rifle, single shot, complete with excellent aperture sights. Shipped to your door for $450. No better value out there for a heavy barrel target rifle. Built like a tank.