View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I agree the data is limited. I run into the same challenge reloading. That's why I take "similar" data and extrapolate.

I noticed very very quickly that jacketed data is nice and linear, so is cast, and even copper data is pretty good. Cast and jacketed aren't that far off, but copper loads aren't even on the radar, and the charges are always very low. The reasons why are well documented, but all I am trying to say is that I do not suggest going anywhere near max jacketed loads with copper bullets. To start low and work up. To expect the pressure signs to start well below max of jacketed.

Maybe a better way to put it would be to say "expect to use less powder to achieve the same velocity/pressure"?
I would like to include a similar note. I love Berger bullets...BUT, they haven't published a reloading manual. OK, so I started working up a load for 30.06 using my Hornady handbook and Berger COAL recomendations (start touching the lands). I laoded a handfull of Berger 168 gr. and a handfull of Hornady 168 gr. (OAL per manual) with identical powder & charges. When I tested the rounds the Hornady bullets had a MV upwards of 200 fps greater than the Bergers. The Bergers were more accurate and flew flatter. But I was stumped until I called the Berger techs. They said that the Hornady .308's may have a slightly greater diameter thereby creating slightly more pressure. I asked if I should bump the powder loads up in the Bergers? The answer was NO! Running COAL long creates more pressure as there is less gas escaping around the bullet with less freebore for the bullet to travel. I ended up satisfied with sub-max loads for the Bergers but they are deadly accurate in my near 40 year old $35.00 Remington 700