View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 3:43 PM

Unhappy Is this CA's new DROS system?

I'm pretty new here and don't know if I am posting in the right section or if I can post any of this at all. Forgive my newbie mistake if i go over any of those lines.

The background:

In mid-August, I went to purchase a new Mossberg and another 10/22. On the 9th day of DROS, I was called by the shop manager to tell me I was denied. Huh? What? I already have guns and a clean record. I went back to collect my refund and was handed the paperwork of doom. I called the DOJ number listed to find out what could possibly create a denial. I was told that they showed record of me having an arrest for domestic violence, hence the denial. I told her that I was never charged and that they were fake accusations . . .

. . . Skip back another year and yes, I was falsely arrested for domestic violence. My ex was mad at me and wanted me to leave the house. I went into the master bedroom to get away from her and she started screaming from the stairs . . . I run out to see if she's alright and I see her, now on the phone, describing my clothing . . . the police came and I was arrested. I posted bail, hired a lawyer, stayed at a different house and awaited my court date. Upon my day in court, I found out from my lawyer that charges were never filed and the police decided not to investigate any further (I was told that her story changed several times and no evidence supported her claim . . . phew, that could have been bad) . . .

Skip up to September of this year . . . I retained my lawyer to get any arrest record sealed or removed as suggested to me by the DOJ. 1K and 1 week later, anything negative on my record was removed. The next month, I checked with my lawyer and got the okay to make my original purchase (Moss and 10/22). I was told the DOJ had to be updated by now. The 9th day of DROS, again, I was called by the DOJ and told I was on delay. Huh? What? Again? I was told the arrest for the DV had not been removed from their system yet. I politely replied that I could send the minute order from court, but was told, "No, we cannot use any outside references", and "I had to wait until the DOJ system was updated internally".

Back to today (time travel is fun, right?) - I called my contact with the DOJ, with whom I have been communicating every week . . . (I want my guns dammit)

. . . I get a different department who states they don't know an XXXXXX, but she might be in the DROS dept (duh!) and that her dept. can no longer take or make calls. Phones are automatically being transferred to another department (lower level research dept). After joking about how busy they must be, he tells me that on the 9th day, all DROSs go directly to delay and will be that way for another few weeks ... meaning anyone who bought in the last week will be in my same spot and it will be that way for another few weeks. (He probably shouldn't have told me that) ... And yes, I'm still on delay after 69 days.

Is this California's new DROS System . . . Who else has stories like this?