View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

OMG!!!! YOU GOTTA READ THIS!!!

Because of the stories here and from a friend who recently recovered a stolen gun I have pursued this with vigor.
I assumed that the San Bernardino PD had placed my stolen handguns in the national database of stolen firearms... DO NOT ASSUME THIS!!!

I couldnt find my original copy of the burglery report from 96/97, so I contacted my old H.S. buddy who was my insurance agent back then.
They can only find my policy # and cant find any record of the claim, because all their records have been purged!
So I called the SBPD the agency that I made the burglery report to way back then....

First off I want to say that everyone at the SBPD I spoke with was extremely helpful and professional!
After being transferred several times and explaining the whole story to several people, I finally started to get some info!
First I was informed that my guns didnt even come up as stolen, the SBPD has also purged their records and there is no record of my burglery report.
Additionally, being that the sale was a private party sale in 1990, I didnt have to register the guns then, but I do still have the Bill of Sale and records of the serial numbers.

When I spoke with a very helpful woman in the gun locker I got the good/bad news.
Turns out that my gun was pulled from a perp back in 1998 and sat on a shelf until March of last year... then it was destroyed! If only I had made sure of all this a year ago!
While I am saddened by the news that my beloved Gen 1 G17 had been destroyed, at least I have the closure and knowledge that the gun isnt being used to commit a serious crime.

MORAL OF THE STORY -
IF YOU HAD A GUN(S) STOLEN, CALL YOUR PD AND MAKE SURE THE GUN(S) SHOW UP AS STOLEN, ARE IN THE NATIONAL DATABASE, AND THAT YOU SHOW AS THE REGISTERED OWNER!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 02-08-2013 at 11:28 AM..