View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 4:09 PM

Default I got yelled at!

I got yelled at... for shooting a gun... at the range?

So - Range etiquette?

We were at the range the other morning trying out my new shotty and pistol. All I had left were some 3" magnum slugs. I let two loose. (Bull's eyes!) As I'm lining up another shot, the guy in the next booth yells at me; "JAYSUS, THANKS FOR THE WARNING" giving me a cross-armed stink-eye.

He stood there with the stink face expecting an apology or something. I was rather perplexed and replied; "It don't think that's customary here." I have been shooting at this place 2-3 times a week for months and have NEVER heard anyone call a shotgun warning. This guy seemed to feel entitled to one.

I am still sort of irked by the whole thing. He is the first RUDE firearms person I have had the displeasure to interact with.

To me, calling; "shotgun!" has always been to reserve the front passenger seat. If this guy needs a warning maybe he should pick up a quieter hobby like knitting. At the ranges where any of you kind readers shoot, do they require some sort of vocal warning for shotguns?

One thing I really enjoy about the firearms culture is the uncommon politeness of strangers to each other. I would hate it if I displayed some sort of rudeness on my part by not giving a warning. ("FIRE IN THE HOLE?") But to me, interrupting the shooters on either side of me to inform them a loud sound is coming seems absurd and rude.