View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 5:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloth View Post
I think at some point I may want to configure my AR into a mock Dissipator setup. How hard is it to install the front sight? What does pinning it entail?

Right now I have a DDM4 V5, but a part of me wants to lose the rail, add a carry handle and install a front sight block. If I'm doing all that, I might as well explore making a mock Dizzy.
Just buy a dissy barrel with the Front Sight Base already there.

You could even buy the DPMS barrel FatalKitty has... its a good shooter. They fixed the gas port issue.

Pinning the FSB is a complicated process and doing it wrong is VERY easy.

As long as you can remove your muzzle device you can install a clamp on FSB and handguard cap. ArmaLite sells the one piece clamp on FSB, buy a triangle handguard cap.

The pin to hold the handguard cap can be bought at any hardware store. If you are not handy with tool and assembly type work...call someone who is.

Cut your old FSB down so only the gas block portion is left. The bayonet lug and sling loop need to go as well. Cut the old handguard cap off as well. Paint the bare metal. Remove your muzzle device. Put the rifle length handguards on the delta, tie them together or use a rubberband to hold them into one. Slide the new triangle handguard cap on the barrel. Compress the handguards into the delta, this puts tension on the Delta's weld spring and holds the handguards in place. Make sure its not fully compressed, because to remove the handguards you need to compress it farther and slide them off. When you find a good medium compressed spot, mark that on the barrel just at the handguard cap. Line up the handguard cap's gas tube hole with the gas tube hole in the new FSB and pound in a pin to hold them together. Now the handguard cap and FSB are one solid piece. Slide them both on the barrel. Watch for the mark on the barrel and make sure you lock the Handguard cap right on it. Leave the FSB slightly loose to allow you to move it side to side for zeroing, then lock it down. The whole transformation from Carbine to Dissy takes less than 2 hours and most of that time is cutting the bayonet lug and changing cutting disks on the dremel tool. If you need phone tech support, PM me a few days prior, I have sundays and mondays off... LOL