Thread: question
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 8:37 PM

I'm not so sure that the noise is that big of a deal if....your shooting outside and you shoot .22's. You can handle the lead if your wife is worried. I wouldn't take her inside 6mo. pregnant. We did take my friend inside about 10-12 weeks pregnant, but the baby is so protected in there we weren't worried. I even asked my doc when I was pregnant and he wasn't worried about the noise. Didn't ask about the lead...but can't hurt to be careful with that.

Also-try a rifle first...no bigger that .22!!! It's easier to keep down range! set it on a table, that way she doesn't have to hold it-just sight and shoot. then try pistols, again no bigger than a .22!!! Anything else is way too intimidating. I highly suggest you not give her a big 'hand cannon', she'll hate it! Something light and easy to shoot like a .22 revolver or pistol. a single action revolver is good, again less likely to miss-handle or fire since it's one round at a time. If she's nervous she may forget there's another round in a semi-auto ready to shoot! My Dad's an instructor and this is how he teaches.

There's a thread about teaching ladies to shoot for the first time somewhere on here. I commented and said basically the same thing.

good luck! have fun! hopefully she'll be hooked like all of us!

Last edited by FreedomMom; 12-29-2009 at 8:39 PM..