View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
What changed in 2017 that allows CA FFLs to convert AWs into non AW's? I have been asked a lot lately to just split AR15s in half and forward to CA lately. Prior to 2017 that was almost always rejected by CA FFLs because they considered them as AW's in a state of disassembly/repair and not "un"-AW's. If I could have shipped them like that last year it would have been a much easier and faster process. I would like to get more CA FFLs on board with accepting disassembled guns but I do not know what PC to show that makes it legal to just disassemble rifles to make them legal.

If sending a disassembled AR15 is legal how is the buyer able to take possession if assembling for the safety demo turns it back into an AW if it is not converted at the FFLs premise?
If it is disassembled then it is not an AW. What exactly would the FFL be converting? Putting a grip wrap on? That isn't even manufacturing per the ATF. Or the buyer can take all the parts home, FFL keeps the receiver and it is DROSed as a receiver only because that is exactly what they received. Buyer then has the responsibility to make sure it is CA compliant.

Receivers do not need a safety demo to be performed.

Quote:
11 CFR 5471 (hh) "Semiautomatic" means a firearm functionally able to fire a single cartridge eject the empty case and reload the chamber each time the trigger is dulled and released. Further, certain necessary mechanical parts that will allow a firearm to function in a semiautomatic nature must be present for a weapon to be deemed semiautomatic. A weapon clearly designed to be semiautomatic but lacking a firing pin, bolt, carrier, gas tube or some other crucial part of the firearm is not semiautomatic for purposes of Penal Code section 30515, 30600 and 30605(a) and 30900.
Even before the new regulations disassembled was never an issue. We had DOJ audits when shipments came in and asked Bob during an audit. The new regulations just made it crystal clear and in writing.

Last edited by Baboosh; 06-15-2017 at 10:46 AM..