Old 07-17-2013, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltguy View Post
no s/n is required by LAW
none,zero,nada

copy/paste from ARFCOM

Okay boys and girls... Straight from BATFE Firearms Technology Branch, Agent Max Kingery, in a phone call I made on 12/30/08 at 1645hrs, (304)260-1699...

According to ATFE FTB, an AR pistol may be made from a receiver you make yourself, (IE block of aluminum, or 80%) as long as you use the round pistol buffer tube, NOT the CAR stock tube. It does NOT have to be serialized and is not taxed or required to be registered in ANY way Federally just like a handgun or rifle you make yourself. Also, you can turn that receiver into a rifle at any point, but if you do, you cannot then turn it back into a pistol. They recommend you place some sort of serial number on it, in case it is stolen, but that is NOT a requirement. There is no requirement you mark it in any way, IE "pistol" or anything else.

Pays to ask, if you don't know. Hope this helps clear up and "gray" areas concerning making a AR pistol from an 80% or block of aluminum. If anyone has any further questions, they can call Agent Kingery at the number above for clairification.
Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought until my discussion with CNCMILLGUY. Nothing unless selling or transfering althought a SN would be helpful if it was stolen which you should report. This thing needs to be a sticky on either this forum or probably the best would be the centerfire rifle section.

To be sure, is there nothing in our California laws that would be different from the Feds BATFE?

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home