View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 1:59 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoulant View Post
My Wife is an LEO, finally on the road to recovery after a mild case of the cancer and was going to treat herself to a new arsenal.

Two off roster pistols (XDS and LCP in Raspberry) and one on roster (SIG 226)

She asked me if it would be possible to buy them together at one time since she's LEO, wait the 10 days as to not have to deal with her CO, and grab them up. I thought she'd be good to go today, what with the exemptions that LEOs are fortunate to have.

She was told by our guy that she can only do 1 every 30 days unless she had a letter from her CO which would result in 1 every 5 days. (new to me, I thought letters just exempted her from the 10 day wait.)
the law is pretty clear here. and I dont' even know where they came up with the 1-in-5 rule?

27535. (a) No person shall make an application to purchase more
than one handgun within any 30-day period.
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
(5) Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid
peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section
830) of Title 3 of Part 2, and who is authorized to, and does carry a
firearm during the course and scope of employment as a peace
officer.
there is no requirement in that exemption for the LEO to have a letter for that exemption.

Quote:
She also was going to buy me a rifle for our anniversary and they came back with she cannot purchase a long gun and a pistol the same day. (also new to me, though never tested it)
no law against that either, but it can't be done on one DROS, so the LGS might be confused there.

Quote:
I've done a cursory search through the laws and didn't see anything, one way or the other, about these. I like my LGS, I won't argue with them about it as we can't find ammo so there's no rush, was just trying to save on Dros fees and paperwork if possible, but I'm curious to know if this is in fact the way it is and I am just horribly misinformed. (Quite likely)

I'm confused as to how often my C.O.E. will let me buy now as well.
you'd save around $5 per gun in DROS fees, not a lot, but it is there. $25 for the first handgun, and $19 for each additional handgun.

take pretty much the same amount of paperwork. one DROS for each handgun and rifle (although you might be able to just do one 4473 for everything, but that depends on the FFL. some one one 4473 for each DROS, makes filing the paperwork easier in case of audits). and if you bought multiple handguns in a 5-day period from that FFL, then they would need to send in a notice to ATF about it (that might be where they came up with the 1-in-5 BS so they wouldn't need to file a multiple handgun purchase report).

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.