View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth83 View Post
Woops. Those of you who disagreed with me do seem to be correct. After reviewing the PC neither rimfire or centerfire seem to be mentioned. Was this not the law at one time?
Nope. There was never a rimfire exemption to the dealer transfer requirement. Before 1991, private party transfers didn't have to go through a dealer at all. You could sell a Glock to a stranger you met in the Denny's parking lot, cash and carry with no paperwork. After 1991, firearms transfers between California residents had to go through a California licensed dealer. If your uncle wants to give you a single shot .22 you have to do the transfer through a dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth83 View Post
About 4 years ago I spoke to the Doj on this matter and they agreed it was not required. My only guess is that they were as out of the loop as me!! Thanks for the polite corrections....and again, my bad.
The people who answer the phones at CalDOJ have about a 25% chance of giving you the correct answer. The laws are just too complicated for most pubic employees to understand.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin