View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 5:26 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
So it sounds like the stock had that almost worn off gray hazed shellac? And you just used mineral spirits to remove it? Did you do anything else? Or any special technique?

Can't tell from the new photo of the stock, what have you done to it? Applied a coat of amber shellac? Or Poly? It looks shiny now, or is that just the photo?
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about stock refinishing.... when the mineral spirits were not effective in removing the grey stuff I used some 220 grit sandpaper and it came off. Then I used mineral spirits to clean the gunk off the stock. It only looks wet in the picture because there was a fresh coat of mineral spirits on it.

I was probably going to put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as a protectant. I used BLO before on a diferent stock
but it didn't change the appearance of the stock at all, so maybe I didn't do it right.

P.S. I have read about going to collector hell for using sandpaper, but I do not see this

rifle as a museum piece and I already have several minty SKS's in the safe that don't get shot. This one will be one of my range guns.