View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 1:44 AM

I just found this site and found this to be an interesting thread. I'm not trying to stir the pot, or jump into a fight with anyone, but hope I can add a bit to the conversation.

A lot can be said of the long range rounds being used today and discussed in this thread. What can not be said is that they are "new" calibers. The 6mm and 6.5 Creedmore and its variants have been around nearly 40 years. They are a very fast and flat shooting round, especially with the advancements made in propellants. I believe a major reason most of this calibers shooters state they use the 6mm rounds is due to less recoil. Isn't the brass based on the .243 case? I recently met a highly ranked shooter, named Keith Gratias, who stated it's his favorite round for that very reason.

I recently retired from a large sheriff's department and have had the opportunity to work with our "snipers" and many other agencies "snipers", including a few military snipers (SEAL, Ranger) who assist with providing training. Every single "paid" LE sniper and agency I'm aware of uses the .308, along with our military snipers (+.50cal). Our latest platform is an AR-10 based one and is expected in a couple of weeks. We've discontinued the model700 BOLT platform, in that it was deemed inferior. None of the paid "snipers" I know use anything except the .308 cal. Most police agencies can use whatever caliber they want, as money isn't really an issue for limited quantities of specialized equipment.

Most, and I do mean most, LE agencies snipers use Nightforce scopes. This is primarily due to their extreme durability and light gathering. Pricey yes, but when lives are on the line frugality is stupidity. Hornady TAP 165gr ammunition is the apparent standard.

A lot of "real world" ballistics information is available for .308. Penetration, separation, weight retention etc... how it performs through glass, metal, sheetrock, wooden doors, bodies etc... Perhaps someday, as more relevant information is obtained on the 6mm rounds for "sniper" suitability, it may well become the .308's replacement. Paper targets, metal plates and such are for competition. Just my two cents.