View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Magazine comes loose by wiggling it without pressing the mag button

The PMAG M2 magazine comes out by simply wiggling the magazine.
This is without pressing the button to release the magazine.
I have a 2nd PMAG M3, which does not come out with any amount of wiggling.
I dropped by at local gun shop and tested with a metal mag (unknown brand) and the mag also did not wiggle out.

Lower receiver: 80percentarms.com
The button : Raddlock button set at the CA legal position and not so legal position.
Lower Parts kit: Palmetto State Armory MOE LPK

MAGPUL M3 PMAG 10rd-MAG .223/5.56mm (pictured in front)
Magpul PMAG M2 MOE 10 Round 30 Body Magazine .223/5.56mm (pictured in background)
* Note the fraction of a millimeter "step" above the notch where the mag catch holds the magazine in place.

I understand there are some differences in design between M2 and M3. It is obvious from the above pictures.

The "step" is a fraction of a millimeter. May not be enough to make a difference.

Then I had this bright idea that if I bend the mag catch a little to move the magcatch closer to the magazine by a fraction of a millimeter this problem is solved. Some of you reading this at this point are already saying not to do it. Yes - I did. I found out why not to do it. The metal used is not the "bendy" type.

Mag catch broken piece
The best picture that I can take at night with fluorescent lighting
Please take the time to look at the picture. My observation with my deteriorating eye sight tells me that the left side is lower than the right.
Is this out of spec? What is the spec measurement for the mag catch?

I have not ruled out that the lower receiver itself might be out of spec, but The step and the mag catch difference adds up to close to a millimeter. That's a big difference.

Mag catch broken piece installed
* Note that my OCD is VERY agitated at this time. The stores are ALL closed at the time of composing this post. Between now and at the time the doors open at the local shop, I may even venture out to get some ice cream.

Last edited by booga; 07-14-2013 at 12:30 AM..