View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themailman View Post
Ive thought about how to put this respectfully for day now and just cant find the right words, so please, bear with me and take whatever I have to not as an insult but as my attempt at good advice:

The Marine Corps is a rough place with rough edges and rough people. The closer you get to a combat MOS, the rougher your life will be. Think back to when you were 18-22, and now imagine 200,000 18-22 year old men with nearly complete freedom and constant testosterone filled competitions, all together. We drink, smoke, fight, screw, cuss, get tattooed, and spend alot of money. Now, throw a female Marine into that equation.

Many females in the military are sexually assaulted and taken advantage of. Many lose their self-respect and become EXTREMELY promiscuous. Male Marines will rarely IF EVER respect a female Marine the same as her male counterpart, simply because she is not held to the same standards. She will have an easier boot camp, and easier physical fitness test, easier weight standards. She will not be expected to go to combat, and if she does she will certainly NOT be able to carry a full grown man in combat gear out of the killzone. I weigh 200lbs and am 6 feet 1 inch, in full combat gear I weigh over 250lbs. Thats nearly double the avg female. If I cant trust her by my side in combat because she is physically weak, and I cant trust that she has been trained to MY level, then why should I have any respect for her as a Marine?

Have there been female Marines that I respected? Yes. My Gysgt is a peurto rican fireball that will eff you up in an instant, but she is in the 1% of female Marines. Most WM's (women marines) I know have spent a good majority of their time in service sucking for stripes, malingering, or trolling the barracks for schlong.

Now, lets assume your daughter is a straight laced, good to go, hardcharging and honorable girl. She will still contend with a culture that is male oriented. She will deal with sexual advances, she will deal with nasty environments, and just generally a non-female friendly place.

But, if she still wants to take on the challenge, more power to her. We need females with strong bodies, minds, hearts, and morals. A strong heart is a must, because we watch females quit on a daily basis at everything from formation runs to swim qual. If she has a fighters heart and was raised well, then she will be ok.

Having said all of this, I would advise my daughter to go AF.

Marines, if what I just posted is untrue, please pm me and we can discuss what I should add/edit/remove.
Thank you for being blunt with me it's what I needed. I very much appreciate the reply. I will talk to her tonight about this, She is a great girl but I do not want her becoming any of this because we have spent her whole life teaching her the opposite. Again thank you for being so blunt and for your knowledge in all this.