View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 9:31 AM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 27,021
iTrader: 3 / 100%

Your buddy cannot use/transport those registered AWs unless he's 18 or over, and is in immediate presence of the registered owner (his dad). Same for hicap mags.

If your buddy is under 18, he can't even shoot them even if his dad is in the immediate presence of your buddy and is supervising your buddy over his shoulder - this is because of unclear definition of term 'lend' in the AW laws.

Generally, in California, AWs must be transported locked and unloaded by their registered owner. They must be transported to/from specific authorized destinations where they are legal to possess and/or use, sometimes requiring express permission. You thus just can't cruise around with an AW as your 'truck gun', even if it's legally yours and properly registered.

You can only shoot AWs where specifically authorized. Some areas - esp certain state lands - while legal for hunting shooting in general may not have AW authorization. Other areas, like BLM lands, are OK (there is a letter/memo from BLM stating that if AW is legal and reg'd, it's legal to shoot AWs on BLM land wherever shooting is authorized.) If you are not sure, ask for permission in writing from the appropriate agency office - don't rely on verbal permission of a forest ranger, etc.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote