View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 1:15 PM

Default Range Cleanup Checklist

Here's a good basic checklist I've started building (based on the one in SoCal for the Glass Factory) on setting up a CGN Range Cleanup. I've also asked for another checklist from the CGN hierarchy and will update.

This list is designed for a really large clean up and may be overkill for Forest Hills Quarry. We will need to pick and choose things we need for a smaller cleanup.

OK, so I'm a project manager and I love checklists. But that's the way we get things done right. (For instance, I never thought about wheelbarrows until I read this).

If anyone has other items to add or questions, please post 'em and I'll update the list.

UPDATES are in Italics
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Preliminary date is ( fill in ) Plan for a rain-date ( fill in)

Forestry Service:
  • Set up a date with the Forestry Service and learn their rules. Ranger availability may drive the cleanup date.
  • (Ranger Name ) is our contact at our local forestry service. Will the Ranger come to the cleanups to help with closing down the range. We should contact him to be sure he is still willing and able.

Volunteers
  • Volunteers can usually work about 3-4 hours at most, including trash hauling.
  • Volunteers should be notified of the date, time and place to meet by PM, and not by announcing it in the thread, according to the SoCal clean-up veterans.
  • It is better to concentrate the volunteers in one area and get is totally clean, instead of letting them spread out and only get some of it.
  • Set up a rally point on an easy-to-locate paved road if possible, so we bring in the right number of vehicles to the range

Roll offs and trash removal: ( fill in who's responsible )
  • Coordinate with trash removal firms for donation of roll offs
  • Will the trash hauler drop off a dumpster, we fill it, then call them to exchange it or do they hang out or?
  • Or, locate a legal land fill and determine how to pay fees if any.
  • Size of the volunteer team is often dictated by how much trash we are allowed to dump or can afford to dump. Apparently 3-5 people working 3 hours can fill a normal dumpster.

Clean up equipment:
  • Shovels: (how many) ( person responsible )
  • Rakes: (how many) ( person responsible )
  • Wheelbarrows: (how many) ( persons responsible )
  • Popups: (how many) ( person responsible )
  • Tables: (how many) ( person responsible )
  • Radios?
  • Bullhorn?
  • Gloves
  • Dustmasks if needed
  • Heavy-duty trash bags?

Food/Drinks:
  • ( person responsible ) can bring the BBQ, food and water.
  • ( person responsible ) can also bring food and drinks to supplement.

Whether to Barbeque?
  • support crew to dole out water, snacks and do the cooking if it is a BBQ?
  • have a dedicated group to cook and keep water and other drinks cold and ready to go.
  • like the idea of a clean"Q"n'shoot but is there enough time in one day to do that?
  • how long the cleanup portion will take - 5 hours? 12 hours? Any ideas?
  • keep it as a clean’n’Q.
  • if we introduce a shoot, then it takes this into a whole new level of complexity.

Safety:
  • Liability? We are really just a bunch of citizens doing this, so how does it work with sponsorship from the CGN?
  • First Aid:
  • Who has training? Do we have a trained Paramedic? Who can bring a good kit?
  • The ranger may have a first aid kit in his truck and all participants are supposed to sign a form that he brings with him. The form is essentially saying we are working as volunteers for the forestry service for the day and this gives all signers medical insurance in case of an accident while working.

CGN/CGSSA vests? - for volunteer safety
  • Order some? (to borrow or for C3's to keep for future cleanups? Ask Pennys Dad
  • It would be nice to have a different color for the coordinators and the volunteers. Perhaps set up a chapter kit for future clean ups?

Prize give away
  • What do you guys think of a “drawing for a prize” for participating in the event.
  • ( person responsible ) can handle the drawing. The better the raffle, the more participants we can have I think.
  • Not really looking for money for the raffle, looking for sponsorships and donations.
  • We can make the criteria that in order to receive raffle tickets, you must work for a minimum of four hours (and be present for the raffle at the end of the day? )
Publicity:
  • ( person responsible ) would be responsible for a flyer (a good one exists), we can send it to most places as a .pdf, possibly print and drop off to local guns shops and sporting goods stores, etc.?
  • Media -For future cleanups, maybe.
  • Obtain several signs that says "Calguns cleaned up this range" (a good one exists). This will probably be trashed by morons after we leave, so we post another one.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Updated