Thread: Butte
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
CitaDel, while I applaud your enthusiasm, the Sheriff here seems to be a real friend to the Second Amendment and I think he's just trying to make the process as painless as possible.

Two years ago, you took the class first and then applied for the permit. I suspect what happened is that some people who were disqualified took the class and then got upset that they'd spent the time and money (and took up slots in classes that other people might have had) and gotten turned down.

So, to save everybody a lot of grief, I think they decided people should apply first, so you haven't spent the time and money on the class if you're just going to get turned down. But, they're also savvy enough to know that if they don't put an expiration date on it they'll eventually have somebody in their office waving a five year old letter and making a scene.

So, I think they just picked 30 days out of a hat, not realizing that it's actually kind of tough to get scheduled in 30 days. So now they've extended it to 60, and really, I doubt they'd give you trouble if you walked in with a letter that's a couple of weeks expired. They're good guys, really, they're not trying to trip you up, in fact they're very friendly and helpful over the phone about what to put on the application. It seems like if you're a law-abiding citizen they want you to have the permit, and it shows in both their words and their actions.

Out of 58 Sheriffs in California, there is no "shall issue" advocate. If one were to find a real 'friend' to the second amendment, we would find that they would either follow California statute as it is applicable to carry licenses (which is their minimum duty to oblige) or they would adopt an even more permissive policy than the law outlines (such as approving any person who is not prohibited to possess a firearm). Since the Butte County Sheriff has not done either of these things, one may correctly assume that he has no intention of being anything other than 'may' issue. He further compounds this by enforcing policies that have no basis in law that exceed his authority. In addition to the expiration of the approval letter, these pop out as unlawful...

Quote:
3. Age requirement

A. Must be at least twenty one (21) years of age.

4. Proof of Residency

A. Bring a copy of your rental agreement, tax bill, utility bill,or other forms showing your main residence is in the County of Butte
There is no such age requirement in the statute (an applicant need only be 18) and applicants may not be required to provide any forms other than the standard application.

Reform comes in two forms. One is willingly. The other, no Sheriff is immune from- even if they hang their hat at the gun club and have a lifetime membership with the NRA. They are still obligated to follow the law.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by CitaDeL; 07-22-2012 at 8:19 PM..