View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 4:07 AM

Default BEST Gun Protective Coatings Product Review

Greetings,

I happened to be searching for updates on best gun protective coatings and came across this excelent thread which I agree with. CeraKOTE is the best product on the market, although it is quite an involved application procedure as I found out when I decided to apply it myself. Made a mistake and evidently missed a spot when cleaning prior to application. I can only guess at how I missed a spot as it only showed up several months later when finish started to chip off in one area only. Great product if applied properly.

Live and learn, but reading through thread I saw confusion on CeraCOAT which is not in the same category as CeraKOTE or Duracoat which are technically paint like coatings, although much harder than typical paints. Both are good products as I have experimented with both over the years, not lately, so there may have been some improvements in last year or so, that is what I was searching for.

Duracoat supposedly needs less surface preperation, but as expected, the long term results will not be close to a properly prepared CeraKote application. I had one of my guns coated by local professional, and was pleased with application to date, but the cost was crazy at nearly a quarter of what I paid for gun. Setting up to apply it again myself was not possible as I had gotten rid of paint and sand blasting booth I once had when I first coated a gun evaluating product. Warning labels will limit most from applying product as you need to have proper equipment and protection to avoid inhaling fumes which smell real caustic, so be careful.

Duracoat was far easier to use as it requires less preperation which can take over an hour with proper equipment, so as a time saver, Duracoat is good option. Having has time to evaluate several products, the easiest by far was CeraCOAT, not in the same category, so I wanted to point that out given a few confusing posts between CeraKOTE which if hearing it said obviously sounds the same. Long story short, CeraCOAT is a ceramic nanotechnology, not a paint like or epoxy product like the others. No, it won't change colors of guns, it is purely a protective coating for waterproofing and preventing oxidation or rust if you subject your guns or hunting rifles to mud, dirty water or dust. Simple way to protect your collection if you like me are a collector and rarely shoot these nor want to alter their color. Simply goes on like a polish, not a paint and lasts up to a year depending on use, forever if you have collections you want to protect. For your commonly used shotguns, this ceramic protective coating will last a whole hunting season, and can easily be applied as often as you like for added protection. It does not build up to naked eye, but under a microscope you see the pourus metal being filled by nano ceramic molecules and you can tell it is working by simply pouring water on guns, it beads up and you can blow it dry with ease, same with mud, nothing sticks.

Just wanted to clarify the differences for those who are stll interested, even though this thread died a couple years ago, we still want to protect our weapons at the lowest cost possible and as easily as possible, so I am convinced CeraCOAT is the answer as it can be used for everything you want protected from dirt and water damage, even you hunting boots, sleeping bags, clothes, tents, this is an amazing technology, and I have evaluated them all over the years. Full disclosure, you can actually save more money by becoming free distributor if interested, that is what I did to save 20% as I am tight as a frogs butt. lol

Happy Hunting,