View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
The largest group that seems to have a built-in receptivity to issues of Constitutionality, small government, and so on happen to be those hated bible-thumpers. Likely a secularist won't see that because they'll trip over the wrong buttons
From my perspective, the issue is that as someone strongly in favor of a return to Constitutional boundaries, small government, and fiscal restraint among many other conservative notions, whenever it comes up that I'm not a believer in any religion, I'm told that my kind aren't welcome in the Republican party. That I'm some sort of RINO.

My analysis is that the religious right walked away from the coalition that the Republican party built in 1994 because they believed they were strong enough to go it alone and that they shouldn't compromise their core values to make nice with the riff-raff. They'd rather have 30 "real Republicans" than 60 of something else, despite the fact that "something else" could win elections and make policy.

I don't refuse to play nice with the religious. The religious were the ones who made their own exclusive club and said I couldn't be in it. I'll wait until the Republicans want to win again and open the doors to libertarians like myself.

In the meantime, those western conservatives are the Dem Blue Dogs and are still on our side on 2A issues, are still on our side on states rights issues, are still on our side on a lot of the issues that matter to me. And those western conservatives are going to continue to be Dems until the Republican party decides it is not a theocratic party but a conservative party.
"Ecuador offers the United States $23 million a year in economic aid, an amount similar to what we were receiving under the tariff benefits, with the purpose of providing human rights training that will contribute to avoid violations of people's privacy, that degrade humanity," --Fernando Alvarado