View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 8:47 AM

So we'd like to get more ladies to the range to enjoy and properly use firearms. How do we do this with other recreational activities, with bikes, jet skis, hiking? Just bring the whole family, and structure the activity to include the needs and body size of the family. Just like any fun family day out, you go together and maybe even enjoy your favorite restaurant on the way back and talk about what you did and learned.

Time, firearms, targets, and a plan can be assembled to fit the needs of any group. Kids too young to shoot can always walk around with one adult while the other adult shoots with the older kids, or stay home/do alternate activity with the other parent. Creativity, a skill which every parent soon masters, is all you need. Kids don't need to spend a lot of time at the range to have a fun time, and as they get older, they'll probably ask you to stay longer. "Fun" targets like soda cans, balloons, water jugs are good, in addition to paper. No to mention the cultural value of caretaking that kids will learn in the way they see the family using the land: Yes, we enjoy shooting outdoors, but we always pick up our trash, and more besides. This and many other positive values flow from shooting.

So even better than bringing Mom to the range is to bring the family.

Formal programs also exist, such as NRA clinics and my favorite, Appleseed rifle clinics.

Shooting heritage should be passed along to the next generation, giving them both technical proficiency and safety. Although most gun owners can teach safe handling, I think it's also true that most gun owners are shaky regarding the basics of shooting technique. It's just because people haven't received any formal instruction, that's just how we're set up in the US, informally for the most part.

But if one of the family members receives instruction in basic technique, it makes a vast difference in the quality of the technical skill imparted to the family. Do include the family in shooting, and make sure you know the fundamentals of form, breathing, trigger pull, etcetera. for the firearms you use.

If you structure shooting to include the family, you'll include Mom too. An activity that's fun will be looked forward to; so if the family isn't having fun shooting, adjust something.

Ladies want to know why you're asking them to do or not do something, so be prepared to have reasons underpinning everything you ask them to do. I strongly encourage the 'teacher' to get basic, formal instruction (I don't care how long you've been shooting) before teaching another person. Otherwise, the student will be nonplussed after the tenth "I don't know".

As a life time shooter, but very recently formally-instructed shooter, I know of what I speak. Get qualified, and then spread the good word.