Thread: Windows 7...
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
How does 7 compare to XP? XP is so simple...I dislike vista A LOT.

I think people who don't have problems with it, aren't people who use computers a lot, just use them to surf the net and check email.
Hi Caoboy,

I work in IT Support and have it installed on a laptop (tablet pc) and my desktop in the office. It really is a polished vista. the core kernel is based off of vista. its what vista should have been. You or may not experience a boost in loading into windows with win7. For me, it's just some nice enhancements.
I've been using vista for several years (home desktop and laptop) and it has actually worked well except for my desktop refuse to do standby mode.

Win7 gives you super preview windows; you click on e for internet explorer and it shows you preview windows of all open internet explorer windows. Same goes for any other app but it can be a bit confusing. It's the same icon for preview and to launch new windows. For instance, you have 3 internet explorer windows open to launch a new window you right click on the e icon left click. It's a love it or hate it feature. I hate it. It's confusing as it changes focus on the window your previewing and blanks out the rest of your desktop until you either click on a window or click out of it. Sorry I don't have a screen shot of it.

ITs really good at diagnosing hardware problems and getting the correct drivers. Very good.

No more quick launch bar, replaced by "super preview".
No direct upgrade from xp to win7. Only clean install or overwrite. Overwriting will still save your desktop, docs, etc. to windows.old folder.

Direct upgrade from vista is ok. I've done both and they installed without a hitch. I'd highly recommend a clean install from xp.

It has a XP mode. Its XP running in a wannabe virtual sandbox. All it is remote desktop mashed into windows 7. Useful for adminsitrative tasks, AD accounts, exchange management.

Most security enhancements from vista/win7 are already in xp service pack 3, such as nap, etc.

If it comes with your new PC, just use it. Otherwise, unless you have some compelling reason. Just stay with XP.

No real games demanding dx10 or dx11 yet and its been how many years?
If you want a cool slick desktop to upgrade the look of your xp checkout stardock.com They make a desktop customizer and windows blinds. Cool stuff. Not very pricey and a lot less than win7 upgrades.

Hope this helps out.