View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
So, how important is the Hornady L'N'L Headspace Gauge? I should start getting stuff in on Monday but I can't seem to find this in stock anywhere.

Can I get started without it assuming that I'm hitting my case and overall lengths using once fired brass? I'll be using the Redding FL bushing dies as you recommended.
I've used the Stoney Point (now Hornady) headspace gauge and have run into a problem with it. This gauge uses aluminum bushings that have a specific diameter hole reamed in them that corresponds to the headspace datum line on the particular cartridge (for .308 Win it is 0.400"). The problem I've had is that the aluminum is soft enough that the edge on the bushing gets rounded quite easily, adding an error of 0.003" to 0.005" to the headspace reading. That's a lot of error when measuring headspace. I currently use a Redding Instant Indicator/Comparator unit (it gives good numbers, but needs to be set up in my press), but I'm thinking of trying out the Sinclair bump gauge. It is similar to the Hornady, but it uses stainless steel inserts that are actually cut to match the shoulder angle (no sharp edge to round off). Since I haven't tried it yet, I can't recommend it, but the design concept seems sound......