View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
This came up in a thread on another forum.

Is it legal, in California (specifically the San Francisco Bay Area) to transport an UNLOADED pistol in a LOCKED container (like a Pelican Case with a padlock), with an UNLOADED magazine IN the mag-well, and/or LOADED magazines in the SAME container, but not IN the gun?

Going further, is it legal to transport this container on foot (not in a vehicle)?

On public transportation like a bus or the subway?

Let's assume the destination is a shooting range with minimal stops along the way.

Thanks.
Hi there!

Good to see that you made it over here to Calguns. I am the one that posted in the other forum about transporting your pistol in CA.

There is a lot of info here and a lot to absorb. It took me many months to digest the mountains of laws surrounding somewhat innocent tasks such as transporting firearms.

Another thing you can check out is a book called 'How to own a gun in CA and not go to jail' or something along those lines.

In a nutshell, ammo in the gun is a non-no. Pistol in a locked container-pelican case is fine. Public transportation shouldnt be an issue. I would make sure that you're very low key and subtle about what you're transporting if at all possible. Don't advertise your guns in CA. A LOT of anti gun people here. Lawyers are everywhere, especially in SF and San Rafael/Marin.

Like I mentioned in the other post, what is 'legal' may not always be the best.

Enjoy CA for all that it offers. If you ever head to the East Bay (San Ramon) give me a heads up and we'll see if we can meet up at a range sometime. You can give me pointers!

Happy shooting and be safe!
M&P 15 (Mine)