View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
I'll be nice and say at most that is speculation and everyone has their own opinion.

But if you want to talk about real world and not about how the average CGNer shoots 200 rounds through whatever AR he has at the local shooting range then immediately after spends 3 hours cleaning it, the fact is, your just in the wrong forum. The success of the AR (DGI system) so far ahead of a GPU it isn't even funny, it is comparing a champian fighter to an amatuer.
Rubbish. I spent five years in the US Army, 1975-1980 and much of my time was spent dealing with (and being responsible for) the deficiencies of the M16A1 and its rotten gas impingement system. The bolt carrier groups were evaluated by Division inspectors to be "unserviceable" constantly due to the stress that the DI system puts on this most-critical component. These are facts that every soldier of that era knew and still does today.

The filthiness of the DI system and the bad effects that this has on the entire operating system of the M16A1 is a military legend. No one will ever know how many GIs lost their lives due to the jamming of these rifles caused by the filth that quickly builds up from firing them. The Army adapted and the M16 eventually became a competent firearm because the troops were required to become rifle cleaning fanatics. But this does not change the fact that the DI system, quite frankly, is sub-optimal.

To the average Calgunner, what a DI system means is a lot of rifle cleaning after each shooting outing. Nothing wrong with that, and personally I enjoy cleaning my weapons, at least in easy doses. When I got my first piston AR rifle I was quite literally astounded at how clean the rifle was after I put several hundred rounds through it. I will never again own a DI rifle.

Anyone who knows anything about engineering knows that everything is a trade-off in designing most anything, especially firearms. The piston system generally does involve a bit more weight towards the front of the weapon. This may or may not be an issue with a given shooter. Looking at all the stuff I see hanging on the front of the ARs at the range, I have to say that this does not seem to be much of an issue to most of my fellow shooters. And it is a small price to pay for a well-designed, clean-functioning rifle.