View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 8:23 AM

A 1911 takes dedication to maintain and operate properly. There are other designs that don't take as much work. Revolvers are probably best for someone who just wants a gun for SD and won't go to the range more than once a year, or practice dry-firing [unloaded of course].

IF she is willing to do the work, then a 1911 is fine. If she isn't willing to do the work on training/operating/cleaning, then she is better served by something else.

I've never launched a recoil spring from my Glock or M&P. I've launched them a few times with my 1911s, and I try to pay attention.

Now, another thought since she wants 9mm. Yes, there are some 9mm 1911s out there. I know there are some members with definite thoughts on reliability with that cartridge in a 1911. But, why not see if she likes the Browning Hi Power? 10 rounds of 9mm in a SA pistol with an external thumb safety that has a great history behind it also.

The one drawback to the Hi Power is the trigger: no matter how much you spend on it the trigger won't be as good as spending the same amount on a 1911. It can be improved on relatively easily: I worked on one of my Hi Powers and have it at a 4lb 9oz trigger that is smooth, by removing the mag disconnect and changing springs. That puts it as light as 2 of my 1911s and lighter than a third. However, the reset is longer. BTW, factory BHP triggers are in the 7-9lb range and the mag disconnect makes them feel gritty. Try pulling the trigger with the mag out to see what removing it does to the smoothness.

Just a thought.