View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 3:56 PM

Week 11.

We got a little rain and I couldn’t believe how much roof runoff a lousy eighth of an inch generates. That was a godsend for the gardens. We have the fast germinating stuff just exploding out of the ground. It also made me realize that all our buildings are on borrowed time. Every little bullet hole in every little roof allows moisture and fungus and termites to enter and start consuming the structure. We had yet another meeting and decided that the first chance we get, we have to raid what’s left of the local Lowes and Home Depots for roof repair goop, paint, primer, caulk….whatever it takes to keep a building standing for 30 years. No more oil is being pumped out of the ground so no more benefits of petrochemical based civilization…we are the stewards of infrastructure, until someone can start pumping energy out of the ground again….

The main thing this week was finding out what the h-e-double toothpicks is living around the park and storage facility.

One of the kids scooted down quick and silent on his bike and left baskets of oranges and figs. One in front of the storage facility, the other at the lake. I covered him the best I could but if someone wanted him, he was dead. I’d just shoot the cannibals when they tried to retrieve the body. He made it there and back no prob and left notes on them to meet in a vacant lot within easy walking distance of all three places. Snipers could cover the area from our little enclave as well as the storage facility. The lake folk don’t have any high ground. Informed the HAM guy and his tribe of what we’re doing. We keep him and his in the loop and supplied with intel.

Got our answer the very next day.

Sent a few folks down with coverage and had a little intro. I could see through my scope but was waaaay to far to hear anything so I just sat on my butt keeping cross hairs on centers of mass for a few hours while my spotter looked around (actually, I fell asleep in the afternoon sun, sorry ‘bout that). Apparently a couple of families and miscellaneous joiner-uppers had holed up in the storage unit when they couldn’t bug out and their own houses were indefensible. Most had some provisions of their own to bring in addition to their bugout bags and one of them had a couple years provisions for three people and all sorts of cool gadgets in the storage units, including an aquaponics setup. They had pumpkin seeds and bluegill instead of tilapia….still fine by me altho tilapia tastes better, the native perches don’t need heated water in the winter. The photovoltaics they rigged up on top of the roof and that provided light and power to the air and water pumps. They had a nice little crop of radishes and some other stuff..but it was only 4 weeks into their growing season and the fish were miniscule so they were still eating freeze dried stuff. They even had a little Peltier-based cooling unit that pulled 180 watts worth of 12 VDC…like half the preppers in the world it seems, they also had everything electronic in a steel GreenLee toolbox. There were 15 of them out of 18 originally. They had lost only 3 in the process of setting up shop and culling cannibals. Luckily their aquaculture guy survived.

The lake folk were holed up in various strong fire resistant buildings. Two families had holed up in a cinderblock Walgreens. I remember seeing that place go up too...thick cement filled cinderblock with at least 5/8 to ¾ inch rebar every foot or so on center…that sucker ain’t going nowhere. The lake residents were able to provide overlapping fields of fire for each other and were subsisting mostly on cattails and uhhh…raiders. Some of them had some provisions but had taken on refugees that provided some utility by virtue of their knowledge base and skillset. There were 60 of them surviving out of 300+ originally. They did the bulk of the work shooting up the people-eaters. Not a single family there was without casualties.

Nobody was aware of the Sheepdogs turned Wolfpack that jacked my neighbors and little old me. They all showed up in the days and weeks following that episode. The odd refugees still trickled in, especially after the fire burnt out the peninsula residents. None of them had ventured into our tract because apparently, all the corpses with single holes in their heads that kept piling up on the main cross streets had a somewhat intimidating effect.

So on balance, our provisions are stretched even tighter, but we have access to cheap, nasty starch in the form of cattails, rich organic lake bottom muck for our gardens and lots of human capital. They have access to vitamin C and other materials and our skillsets and manpower and I’ll be sharing some more of my own food. Three months in and we’ve got the basis for a village with real division of labor and trades. Ammo is definitely not as plentiful as it has been in the past and we’re gardening like our lives depend on it.

One little Intel gathering op set in place the diplomacy that enabled everybody to get all this without firing a single shot. With the resources of the park and the fruit tree inventory in our tract, as well as the unexplored areas farther afield, no one has to starve this year. Next year is another matter and it’s less than three months away.

We’ve scheduled a big pow wow on what to do about our collective protein needs…there’s a lot of growing kids among us..and a sporadic trickle of predator carcasses…..course that’s not my problem tonight, because I shot a monstrous rat off the power lines..saw it silhouetted against the moonlight. A friend of mine by the name of Gamo Whisper had been keeping me company for just this sort of exigency. The rat tasted bland…probably because I cooked the ever-living s**t out of it. Don’t know what parasites those things carry so I figured I’d forgo the culinary experience in favor of microbial safety.

Well CalGunners, what did you eat tonight?