View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokat View Post
I'm pretty much with onequickshift on this, but maybe not as fervent. I agree that the woman needs to select the one that fits her best, not only in grip but features and force, and she needs to practice with it.

However, since there are so so many different types, there's no reason not to ask for advice to narrow it down to a manageable number to try out. No need to go through the wide range of guns available. Pick a glock-type, a revolver, etc. , with a couple different calibers and see what works best. Then start narrowing it down to a specific model.

My husband (missiondude) has some great S&Ws, but when I wanted to buy one for myself, I rented an XD, Glock, Sig, etc just to try out other types. Fell in love with the S&W 952, bought it, and found that it just didn't work for me during any type of competition. Couldn't get the darn thumb safety off fast enough. Still love it at the range, though. So I got a S&W M&P in 9mm, and it's the best thing for me. As he said above, he liked it so much he bought one too.

But I guess my point is that if the woman wants a gun, she needs to take ownership of the purchase, the training, etc. If she's not willing to do that, then just buy what you want and realize that she's just not into it.

Well to be honest, its hypothetical. Cause if you like one gun. I like another. And my twin likes a different one from me. Its all preference. However with great power comes great responsibility :P hahaha. Kk....damn spiderman movie!

I just think taking the time to look around at what models have good track records is a good idea. Than going out and trying them (if you can) and making an informed decision.

To often its a guy buying his wife or gf a gun, they wont use cause they just aren't into it. Nor really cared. Just went shooting fth of it. You know?

I've seen other women drop a gun at a turners when they release the slide on a subcom xd lol.....learning is half the battle. Practice is for steady resolve/ability drawn from many days spent at the ranges. So God forbid, guys? Your wife or gf has to protect herself or your kids. She can. And she's comfortable with the fire arm she uses and owns. Its ok to ask for a womans insight. But ultimately its the trip out to find the one that works. That's all. All steam out, I just hope the op in Q, his wife gets a nice gun she loves to shoot. Be it a 9mm or a 38. Or whatever. Its the fun of finding what you like. And the satisfaction of the purchase is what you 100% love. That's how it is for me. And that's what it boils down too. Hope everyone is having a good night~