View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
The way I would have handled the situation. I would keep my papers separate from where my guns was first of all. Second if your gun was in a separately locked container in the glove box then why did you feel the need to tell the officer about it? Was it a clear box or something? He doesn't know what's in the box and it's not something that you can easily access. Just hand him the necessary paperwork and do not mention the gun.
Good call on keeping them separate. The case fits nicely in the glovebox which is nice for when I step out of the car like at a gas station or something- it's out of sight, and I can put one more lock between a bad guy and the gun that way. (If the case was stolen, the lock could be pretty easily defeated, I think. Just break/cut off the plastic tabs that it locks, heh). So I've just been making a habit of transporting the gun in the glovebox because it's better than the trunk or backseat. I'll have to move my documents next time.

The reason I told him about it was because I'm not sure if I HAVE to inform the officer? I think there's certain times when you're legally required to, and so it was more of a CYA kind of thing. I just wanted to make sure I didn't surprise him- I don't think anyone likes to be surprised by a gun, heh.

I figured that, when I pull my case out of the glovebox to get the registration, the rinkydink lock is going to be very obvious, and I think any officer would be suspicious/curious about what's in a locked case. Obviously you don't have to tell them, but again, I'm not a lawyer, so I'd want to be on the safe side. I don't want to lie to an officer, especially about having a firearm, so if the officer was curious and asked about what was in the locked case I just pulled out in front of him, I'd definitely tell him that there is a firearm in there. I wouldn't want to end up in any trouble because I didn't say anything when I was supposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
You can answer the question just about however you like... The officer was doing exactly what you wanted him to do, making small talk with you. Just like the population they are drawn from, some LEO's can be somewhat blunt when talking with others for all kinds of reasons from personality (or lack thereof) to it being hour number 15 of their shift. If he had actually been bothered or "prying" for information there would have been a slew of follow-up questions.
Oh okay, that's good. Maybe I misinterpreted small talk as disapproval. Especially these days, I'm just worried that certain people (feinsteincuomobloomberg) would use any excuse to confiscate my firearms, so I guess I'm particularly defensive about them. Good point about the follow up questions- I should have been nice in return and offered to let him shoot a few rounds! Haha.