View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 8:28 PM

In CA, the minimum age for CCW is 18. Many states are 21.

I applied when I was 20. When I dropped off the app, a detective came out and starting asking me how I could apply without being able to purchase a handgun. I explained to him how I legally own the guns listed on my application. He then questioned how I would buy ammo for the guns, so I asked him how long the process would take to get my permit. After he said it would be at least 6 months (which I already knew) I told him I would be 21 by then so it wouldn't be an issue. It was a little strange that he seemed unaware of the intra-familial transfer process.

At my interview, a different detective made the remark that my background check was very easy since I had such a short (and clean) history to go through. I asked if there were many people my age getting permits and he said there was a girl in her early 20's who had just gotten her permit before me.

Being young certainly has a stigma attached to it, but its' up to you to show maturity and responsibility. Legally, your age is no longer a factor. I would be prepared to answer questioned about carrying and college campuses, especially if your a student.