Thread: Guns in space
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USACracer View Post
I want a stab at the basic physics,
As I understand it, the Gun on the space station is the same as on earth, but without gravity, however i was thinking about spacewalk shooting, and pretty sure youre average gun would function normally.

It's the round I'd worry about, the case will have some O2 inside for ignition and I think the primer would work fine, but it's the fact that the bullet may not make a 100% seal to the case, the vacuum may pull apart the round due to the air inside....

Anyways, IF fired from spaceman into "empty" space, the bullet should go forever with no loss in speed unless it encounters the gravity of another object, or hits it.

What happens if you shoot into a black hole??? hmmm, infinitely massive tiny bullet?
The smokeless powder supposedly has an oxidizing agent in it. So it would shoot in space. This is assuming the lack of pressure doesn't pull the case open or the heat from the sun on one side doesn't ignite the cartridge. The bullet would eventually collide with something; the distance between matter in space is massive, but in any direction there will be something.