View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Just bought an M4 for SHTF got an email to not use steel cased ammo. Please help!

Hi guys I just bought a brand new Rguns M4 online from Black Star Tactical it should be arriving at my FFL any day. I just got an email a couple days ago from Black Star Tactical about my gun and that I shouldn't use steel cased ammo. here is the email.

A few words on ammunition and 16" carbines:

Our 556 NATO Carbines are test fired using PMC 223 Remington 55 grain FMJ-BT Ammunition. We recommend that you use the same or comparable loads to insure proper cycling function and operation of your carbine. We do not recommend the use of any Russian, steel or lacquered cased ammunition with this rifle. Any other case material besides brass will result in chamber fouling and extraction problems.

Russian 556 NATO ammo is notorious for not cycling the action on carbines. We highly recommend that you do NOT EVER fire any steel or lacquer cased ammo out of your new RGuns 16" carbine or any 556 MIL SPEC chambered upper receivers. Use only brass cased rounds. If you don't know how to tell the difference, steel is usually gray and lacquered is almost always green. BOTH ARE DEFINITELY A NO GO..

Our Carbines are test fired with magazine they have been shipped with, if ordered. If not we use a MIL SPEC 30 round aluminum magazine. We recommend using this magazine the first time out to insure proper operation, before using any other type of magazines such as Magpul PMags.

Before packing, the bore and chambers are scrubbed and swabbed. The BCG is given a light coat of Rem Oil as is the barrel. The rear sight, if included, is removed and packed separately due to shipping box constraints. Of course you should inspect the chamber and bore before use but It should function properly right out of the box.

Note: Proper shouldering technique when firing 16" carbines is important for cycling. Make sure to keep good, firm pressure between the butt stock and your shoulder when firing. "Soft Shouldering" a carbine will more than likely cause it to "short stroke" and lock the bolt to the rear as it would when the last round has been fired and the magazine is empty.

Let us know if you have any questions.

please let me know what you guys think. Is this normal to get this email? They did not tell me this when I ordered the gun. I really want to be able to run steel cased ammo because it is so much more affordable. Also I want to be able to run steel case because this is my SHTF rifle and I want to be able to run any ammo I come across. Any info anyone can add is welcome. Should I try and shoot steel case and see if it works? What should I do? Are there parts that I can replace that will help it run steel cased ammo?

Last edited by AbsoluteTruth; 10-05-2012 at 10:39 PM..