View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Just a heads up, I have a 3/8" AR500 8" gong that I put out at 125 yards and shoot with 7.62x54r, 7.55 Swiss, .223, .30-06 HXP. The gong itself just barely gets dimpled but if you hit the uprights or crossbar, better order some spares. Here is another thing to consider. My gong came with case hardened steel hooks to hang it from the crossbar. When I get a good, solid hit, half the time, the gong flies off of the hooks, kind of a drag.

I went to Home Depot and bought some heavy case hardened chain and some nuts and bolts, decent sized. Taking them shooting this past weekend, I discovered that the shock of the projectile hitting the gong is so strong that it actually bends the bolts. These are steel, case hardened bolts. The bullet splatter actually messes up the threads on the bolts and deforms the bolts as well and these are on the rear of the target stand no less. We shot through one chain also this weekend so make sure you buy lots of extra lengths of chain. Steel targets are amazing but you need a lot more upkeep and maintenance than one might think, at least with the swinging gongs.

Good luck!
I've tried case hardened bolts, grade 8 bolts, shackles, and wire rope. If any were hit the gongs go flying! Actually the wire rope seemed to hold up the best cause I think it's so small that the projos actually miss it.

Whatever you use take extras... Lots of em!

Next time I'm just gonna take a big roll of steel wire and try it out. Cheap & easily replaceable