View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 7:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird
I asked a similar question a while ago about CMP weapons and if there were any records kept as to where shipments went, what branches were issued what manufacture runs, etc. The general concensus was that there really is no order to it. Back then they didn't have computers to log stuff, and "they had more important things to do than keep a paper trail; like win a war".

There is however an online database of US weapons that is being slowly gathered. The people behind it collect serial number data when they find it and enter it in. I have yet to find a rifle whose serial number they have, but they have enough (maybe 1 in 5 on average) to give you a basic idea of where it went. For example it will say something like x1 US Navy Coast Guard, x4 US Navy Coast Guard, x5 US Navy Coast Guard, x6 US Navy Coast Guard, X8 CMP Rifle Sales, x9 CMP Rifle Sales, etc. So it gives you an idea of the last place it was. Obviously if you purchased it from the CMP then you will have a pretty good idea of where it was last, but for other firearms you may find a gem.

If I can find it, I will post it.

ETA: Here it is: http://www.armscollectors.com/srs.htm

Thanks for the info Neo!!!