View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTeacher View Post
I will say that the biggest criticism I have of this debate over which type of shooting prepares one for a self defense scenario, is that regardless of whether you shoot competition or take tactical classes, you're being taught to move towards your target and engage...sometimes while standing directly in front of the target! This occurs in competition and in nearly every video I've ever seen from a tactical class. In a self-defense scenario, proper training would involve 1. avoidance of such scenarios, 2. fleeing such scenarios, and 3. drawing your weapon only when options 1 and 2 have been exhausted. But 1 and 2 can be learned in pretty short order, and without paying exorbitant fees. I have no doubt that there are some great instructors that can help with option 3, but so does competition...a lot.
Gross oversimplification.

Tidbits of videos on YouTube or full videos from say Panteao Productions of tactical / technical classes is not a substitute for attending an actual class in person with full participation as a student. You personally don’t seem to have a number of such classes under your belt to jump to conclusions.