Thread: hey marines
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manong0369 View Post
From my experience as an infantryman, we had the Team Leader armed with an M16A2/M203, the Assistant Team Leader with the automatic weapon, the assistant automatic rifleman and rifleman using M16A4's. This was done when I was a LCpl (SAW gunner), a CPL (team leader), a Sgt (squad leader) and SSgt (platoon Sgt). This is how I was brought up in the infantry community. There are probably Marines that were not taught to do this. I know that the battlefield is dynamic, so we have to be able to adapt to any situation. I believe that the Corps doesn't plan on taking the M249 completely out of the infantry squad. How they're going to do this, I couldn't tell ya. In fact, in the recent Marine Corps Times, they are looking for optics for the SAW. I agree with you in that belt fed weapons will be in the Marine Corps for a very long time, but the Corps is trying to make this change. Marines, young and old, will adapt and overcome as they have done for so long. Semper!
Thats how I was instructed in MCT how you described the infantry squad would operate. I would observe the tactics used of the infantry guys we worked with while training on Pendleton and deployments, and it was very similar but they would change things up a little depending on the mission or scenario they were doing. I'm very interested in how the Corps will implement this new weapon into a squad and see if it lasts or the guys want to lug that SAW around again. I'd put my money on the SAW!! It might be great at first with the reduced weight, but the first few firefights without the SAW and yelling over the COMM to get suppressive fire would probably put an end to that real quick(In my opinion). But then again, like you said the Corps has adapted and overcome for many many years and this could be the case with the new IAR. Semper Fi

You dont need a bigger gun, you just need more AMMO!!!

Mosin Nagant 91/30
M1 Garand
XD Tactical .45
Mossberg 500A Persuader
Looking for complete Bushmaster AR15 20" 5.56/.223 flattop with A2 stock