View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAR View Post
Does anyone know any resource info on building reactive targets. Im a welder by trade and I want to build Dueling tree for .223. I need some close up pics or drawing to see how the spring mechenism works. Or any other useful info I need. I already make swinging targets. But really want a dueling tree capable of .223.

Im a weldor too (welder is the machine..to be nit picky lol)

I would suggest that the impact plates be AT LEAST 3/4" thick, or 2 layers of 1/2" welded together.

A .223 SS109 round should have no trouble passing thru 1/2" mild steel at ranges of 100yds or less....

I personally like to make "swingers" where the bottom plate is 1" thick steel (layered or otherwise) and about 12x12" and the top plate is 1/2" thick and about 6"x6". The top plate is a "no shoot" for rifles, I use it for pistols up close.

I keep it simple,

A) Usually something like 1x1 or 1x2 square stock, 1/8" to 1/4" wall thickness... Don't want it TOO heavy to deal with, but you DO want it solid

B) I like to use a length of allthread and double nuts w/washers along with tubing to make the "pivot" on the spinners... You can also break it down for easier setup/transport in this fashion, all it takes is a crescent wrench or 2.

C) 12x12 plate (or however big you want...in the drawing they are closer to 8x8)

D) 6x6 plate

As you can see, it can be super simple. I like to weld the legs to old diesel truck brake drums, or alternately use legs embedded in a bucket of concrete...

Good luck.

JP

P.S> I can build these for other Calgunners if they are willing to supply/buy the material.... PM for info.