View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning behind sealing a 10/20 or 10/30 magazine. The law doesn't address possession of high caps, just construction, sale, etc. If it is legal for me to import rebuild kits for the purpose of making them 10 rounders like when you cut a Pmag body for 10 rounds, how is it any less legal for the modications shown, so long as that in no point during the assembly of parts did you have a situation where the magazine could feed more than 10 rounds? I understand the premise of CYA, but in the instance of 10/20 or 10/30 mags, so long as the modification is permanent while the magzine is assembled, why is there a need to seal the mag? To keep the magazine in that configuration in the event it was confiscated by uninformed or ill informed LEOs? That's the only reason I can see.

Assuming that the rod stays pinned and epoxied to the follwer in perpetuity, the only way to make the mag feed more than 10 rounds is to remove the follower/rod, and substitute a standard follower. This is construction of a high capacity magazine and illegal, but merely having parts on hand doesn't break the law. Additionally, I'f I'm going to buy a host of mags and do this mod, it would make sense to buy a matching number of followers so I could hold more than 20 rounds when out of state. Sealing the magazine or otherwise altering the body so it can't be used in a 20 round configuration outside CA deprives me that economic benefit.

Another argument can be found in loading 6.5 or 6.8 into 5.56 mags. If the magazine can only hold 10 or less of the larger rounds, my understanding is that it's legal. But if employed to hold more than 10 rounds of 5.56, and was acquired after the ban it's an illegal situation. The difference between the two states of legality has no indication of permanent modification to the body of the magazine.

I have no question on the legallity of the modified mag, merely the idea that the body needs to be compromised in some fashion to impart permanence. This is an issue we should really get better clarification and consensus on as a community.

Chris

Last edited by Flat Broke; 09-12-2008 at 10:09 AM..