View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As a retired (9 1/2yrs) LASD member (27 active), I would like to say great points Samuelx.

I knew of someone at a station I worked at who didn't keep up with his physical regimen and it almost cost the life of his partner one day. The partner was in a fight to retain control of his gun with a burglary suspect and the other deputy was unable to climb over the fence/wall to assist the deputy fighting with the suspect. Thankfully the deputy involved in the fight was able to overcome the suspect, retain his gun and cuff him.

Subsequent to this incident, the 2nd deputy was reassigned to the courts and I don't know if he began a PT program to not only regain his strength, but to lose weight. I hope he did.

OP, please follow the advice of the other posters, myself included (my earlier posts). You don't want to just get thru the academy, you want to instill a mindset that will carry you thru your career. You never know if you may have to fight for your life or come to the assistance of a brother or sister deputy/officer. You need to be both mentally and physically prepared to do so.