View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code7inOaktown View Post
It's a pretty decent video as AK accuracy is really not that bad. And AR reliability isn't really that bad either.
While I agree for the most part, there are those that have had very different experiences.

http://www.hotsr.com/news/WireHeadli...ght-rai-33.php

I know from first hand experience that the M16 requires regular maintenance in less than ideal environments. I learned to live with it.

As a side note, here are the results of the US Army's sand tests from 2006. They didn't include an AK, but my gut tells me it would have done much better than the M4, perhaps as well as the XM8.

Quote:
but I think there is disagreement as to the effectiveness of the 5.45mm. Respected ballistics expert Dr. Gary K. Roberts: "While I can't vouch for the accuracy, according to some SF colleagues who took time to investigate this bit of trivia during their recent Afghan sojourn, "poison", in this context of "poison bullet", refers to the small amount of poison from a bee/wasp or other insect sting. In other words, the Muj were saying the 5.45x39 mm hit like an insect bite, not the hammer of Thor...

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=101
It's at least as effective as the 5.56 round regardless of the "poison bullet" mythology. What can be said is that the 7N6 round is designed to be unstable once it hits something. Does that make it more lethal than 5.56? That's open for debate, it's not something I touched upon in the video.

Quote:
I also disagree on the point of a support mechanism. With the immense popularity of the AR-15 platform in the US, parts, ammunition and, well, just everything easily outnumbers AK-74 parts and ammo by a pretty significant factor. That makes it easy to get the equipment and ammo before whatever fantasy SHTF situation as well as after that fantasy SHTF situation.
By fantasy, you mean like Katrina? I would imagine there are quite a few people wishing it were a fantasy.

If your survival plans call for picking up ammo off the street or finding AR15/M16's laying in the streets for spare parts, I would say your plans aren't the best laid.

During Katrina, how many cases of 5.56 do you think the locals found floating down the street? How many AR15/M16's do you think they found lying on the ground?

If you buy a rifle for self defense, you better buy the ammo to go with it. Spare parts? Buy a rifle that's likely not to need them, or if you feel like your gas rings on your AR's bolt will fail you when you least expect it or that you might lose your firing pin retaining pin, buy extras and pack them in your bag.

Quote:
And just exactly would you need for that "theoretical" SHTF anyway? Do you really think you're going to be in your anti-zombie bunker cranking off 10,000 rounds of ammo with one rifle? Or is more likely that you'll expend 100 to 150 rounds before the fantasy SHTF is declared over?
No, I don't. What makes you think that I would?

In a scenario like Katrina there's a very high probability your weapon will be exposed to debris and rather hostile conditions. Do you want to worry about the state of your rifle or would you rather focus on other issues and worry less about the condition of the rifle? That's what it boils down to.

Quote:
Finally, I'd also argue that it's really about a good rifle example, vs. a bad rifle example. It really should be about having a good rifle period that you can rely on. That is, a good AR-15 that you can count on is of far more value than a bad AK-74 that is unreliable. Likewise, a good AK-74 is worth a lot more than a bad AR-15 that has issues.
You write that script and I'll put it to video.