View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62x63mmUS View Post
I have about 400 rounds of 1953 Kynock I inherited. From what I've heard cordite burn considerably hotter than standard smokeless powder and therefore wore out barrels sooner. The Brits probably would have switched sooner but they were tooled up for cordite production and the threat of a German invasion probably had something to do with it too.
Cordite erodes the barrel throat which is why Lee Enfields will be found almost smooth bore an inch in front of the chamber but good rifling at the muzzle. .303 was made with more conventional stick powder by non UK manufacturers as supplimentary wartime production and by UK manufacturers when cordite production couldn't keep up with demand. Those rounds have a 'z' designation and due to their different ballistic properties had restrictions on firing over the heads of friendly forces. Back in the day heavy machine guns would fire long distance barrages over the heads and in front of emplaced troops so you didn't want to have any rounds with unexpected trajectories!