View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 4:23 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
Great pics.

The radio to the left of the driver is a Vietnam era VHF FM that I worked on. PRC-25 in a mobile config IIRC, PRC 77 in a backpack config. AKA as a Prick 77. Used for squad to squad or to talk to range control mostly. When bored on DZs I tuned it to the audio channel of TV channel 4 and listened to soap operas or the news. Hey it was before the days of cellphones and handheld video games, it was all we had. He's got 3 antennas showing but none look like aircraft band radios so he's probably not a FAC or Romad. He's appears to have a backpack radio on the seat or passenger floor too so he could be working aircraft. Usually the commo guy was the first one to draw rounds, then shoot the Lt. . With a fiddy and a pig mounted on the back he's loaded for bear. I want to say that's a OVerland Ford jeep but it looks too long and the spare wheel on the door is not right for the jeeps we drove. Anyone? How about the M16, anyone care to venture what flavor?

I love the PSP (Pierced Steel Plank AKA Marsden Mat) on the right of him for a bed box. We made all kinds of gear from that stuff. Bunkers, chairs, tables, sunshades, just get a torch and have at it. Worked for crappy runways too but I don't think we ever used it for that.

Looks like an M37.