View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Good post! It feels good to think.

Side note: Yes, for this exercise primary & second firearms and what you can carry are the only focus. Other preps or concerns are more or less assumed, or just not considered.

I'm not LEO/MIL or some "SF operator", nor am I pretending to be such. That's not what this is about.

It's about being realistic and keeping your weapon systems running for when you might need them most. Rather that be a "your life depends on it" scenario or just a multiple day hunting trip in the mountains. Both situations are realistic and in both situations it's not only important to keep your firearms clean & functional, but considering an unforeseen expedite field repair/maintenance is not fantasy.

I'm not trying to imply something in the middle of fire fight, but rather when you return to your hunting camp or base camp, or wherever you're safe and have time to conduct your repairs or whatever actions are needed. But again, the option of grabbing another gun or carrying your workbench with you, is not realistic for this exercise. Neither is simply waiting until you get home or bringing your firearm to your gunsmith or armorer.

EDIT: Let me elaborate a little more... This a thought exercise, but thought grounded in reality, not Hollywood or the internet. I'd also like to add this is not about a catastrophic failure of parts like your barrel or receiver(s). It's not realistic to carry and install a spare barrel or receiver(s) in the field.

Last edited by TacticalPlinker; 03-05-2014 at 5:16 PM..