View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 1:57 AM

Default Response from Congressman Royce

I finally received a response from Assemblyman Edward R. Royce to my e-mail of early October.

My immediate concerns were Curbela bill (H.R. 3999 'bumpfire' ban) is a kneejerk reaction to a single, isolated event and that the bill fails to provide definitions to 'device or parts' or 'standard rate of fire'. As Royce is a co-sponsor I asked that he remove himself as sponsor and vote in opposition to the bill. His response follows;

Dear R,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for regulating bump stock devices. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, automatic weapons were banned in 1934. A bump stock device changes a semi-automatic weapon’s recoil to allow it to fire at a rate similar to a fully automatic. These devices currently are legal, unregulated, and widely available. As one former law enforcement agent put it, these devices create a loophole to circumvent the laws that make automatic weapons largely unavailable. That is why I cosponsored H.R. 3999, a bill to ban these devices.

As you may be aware, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) is seeking to regulate bump stock devices. The ATF’s intention to redefine the term “machinegun” was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I appreciate having the benefit of your views.
“The instruments by which governments must act are either the authority of the laws or force. If the first be destroyed, the last must be substituted; and where this becomes the ordinary instrument of government there is an end to liberty!”- Alexander Hamilton

Last edited by ROMEOHOTEL; 01-06-2018 at 4:43 AM..