View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGGear View Post
Thanks for the reply. How about Uncle Mikes and Blackhawk for duty belt/pouches? I thought they would be one of the popular brands out there.
Uncle Mikes duty belt gear is complete ****. Pretty much bottom of the line gear that doesn't hold up and looks cheap. Better suited for very low budget security companies and not law enforcement. The gear is uncomfortable, looks terrible and is unsafe since it isn't reliable.

The Blackhawk stuff is ok but not great. Most guys I know dislike it. My agency started issuing it since it is a cheaper option than Bianchi which we had been getting issued. It is larger than Bianchi gear and lasts no where near as long plus it is more uncomfortable due to its size (pushes into your sides/back/etc). Most of us all opt to pay out of pocket for Bianchi gear since it is quality and we know it will not fail us plus it is more comfortable.

I use Blackhawk for their Serpa Holsters, vest carriers and other tactical gear but not day to day patrol gear. Many federal LE agencies utilize the Blackhawk tactical gear and holsters.

In addition I would add..

-Streamlight & Surefire Flashlights
-ASP & Monadnock Batons
-Chain and Hinged Cuffs (S&W, Peerless)
-Danner, 5.11 and Bates boots

5.11 gear at least around here is mainly popular with the "tacti-cool" crowd. Pretty much the kind that like to look like mall ninjas. The stuff does fly off the shelves though and is pretty high quality stuff. I don't know any departments that use it as issued uniforms but a lot of guys use 5.11 Taclite pants and other gear out at the range and off duty.

Check your area PD's as well to see what is and isn't issued which will help you target what products to buy. A lot of departments and agencies issue gear and require that you use their issued gear (for liability reasons), while other places give you free reign to wear what you want.